[Dnssec-deployment] Analysis of NASA.GOV DNSSEC Issue 18-Jan-2012

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jan 31 08:32:43 EST 2012

Livingood, Jason <Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> Anyway, if a user cannot access a site it'd be nice if their browser had
> some error saying "This site cannot be reached due to a a DNS security
> issue" or some such thing. But that may never happen (and maybe never
> should), so between the world we live in now and the point where that
> occurs it'd be nice to figure out a way to inform the users of *why* the
> site was not reachable.

This is a wider problem than DNSSEC. OpenDNS redirect users to a DNS
debugging page in the event of resolution problems. An ISP might also want
to explain routing problems that affect external connectivity. If users
have connectivity to their ISP but something beyond that is broken then
this kind of status page can be useful. The problem is then to get the
users to the status page...

Tony.
Fisher: East 6 or 7, occasionally gale 8 at first, decreasing 4 or 5 later.
Moderate or rough. Fair. Moderate or good, light icing in east until later.