[Dnssec-deployment] Root key rolling (was NIST guidance as to DNSSEC and others)

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Feb 6 14:35:56 EST 2012

For the record, I do not think a single solution is the right approach.  Treating *every* key roll as a heavyweight emergency that requires manual intervention seems to me quite wrong.  In band replacement of the KSK on an orderly basis is very useful for orderly operation over the long haul.  The fork in the road here, it seems to me, is we either treat 5011 as a meaningful part of the DNSSEC deployment and operation, or we don't.  If we do, then it needs to be tested.

Planning for emergency key changes is also important, and I fully support doing everything we can think of to handle such eventualities as smoothly as possible.

Conflating emergency, disruptive key changes with planned, non-disruptive key rolls seems like a substantial mistake to me.

Steve