[Dnssec-deployment] accepting DS vs DNSKEY (was: KSK bytes)

Joe Abley joe.abley at icann.org
Wed May 4 08:44:02 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-04, at 15:35, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> I thought you might say that.  What this suggests, however, is that
> the parent is to publish data for which it is authoritative, but for
> which it is not the source.

I think the motivation for that design choice is that DS RRSets (to be useful) need to be signed in the parent zone, and if they were non-authoritative data they would not attract signatures.

I don't think it's necessary to infer from that design decision that the operator of the parent zone must necessarily be responsible for either computing the hash or choosing a hash algorithm.

The fact that established practice (as I see it, perhaps my perspective is skewed) is to send DS RDATA to the parent zone operator rather than DNSKEY RDATA provides additional disincentive to insist otherwise.

Joe