[Dnssec-deployment] RRSIG for arpa expired

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Mon Jun 7 12:58:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:

> i think that right now dnssec is somewhat new and that we can still safely
> fall back to "no validation" when folks make mistakes. as we learn from
> those
> mistakes it'll become viable to fall back to "no data" when folks make
> mistakes. early adopters expect pain, but having gethostbyaddr()
> universally
> fail only because ISC DLV imported the IANA TAR is probably too much pain.

I agree.  That's precisely why in my organization, for the time being, we're
doing both: validation on our primary resolver and no validation on our
secondary.  Stub resolvers fail over to the secondary if validation fails,
so customers can still get their work done.  But alerts of failed validation
by the primary are sent to DNS admins, so we can help identify the issues.

> when the root and ARPA are signed, then the cost of signing with the wrong
> key or letting it expire will be universal failure of gethostbyaddr(). so,
> we
> need to stop making mistakes with our keys and signatures.

I think one of the big issues that has troubled deployment is that all the
maintenance issues seem to be lumped together by administrators, with regard
to priority.  Key rollovers, for example, have their place in DNSSEC
deployment, but coming from the unsigned world they add a lot of maintenance
overhead/concern/frustration for relatively little return on investment
(IMHO).  Frankly, at this point in the game key rollovers are not at all
important compared to signature freshness.  I'm not suggesting that we
educate administrators to avoid key rollovers, but that there is an
understanding that some things are more important than others, with regard
to DNSSEC, and not everything needs to be deployed at once.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Casey