[Dnssec-deployment] Dropping IANA ITAR entries [was: KSK rollover in .cz]

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Aug 3 12:21:10 EDT 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Kim Davies wrote:

>>> Has a date for the abolition of the IANA ITAR been decided on yet?
>
> No. We stated our plan was to decommission it 'x' months after the root is signed, but we'd discuss it with the community after the root is signed to confirm this is still the right course of action. At least some of expressed a desire for the ITAR to stay, but maybe they have changed their minds now the root is actually signed.

It seems it would make sense to no longer allow new entries into ITAR, and to close it
down when the last zone has been acnhored in the root zone?

> Indeed, if anyone on this list sees a good reason to keep the ITAR operating beyond a transition period, now would be a good time to say so.

The only information we will lose from losing ITAR is the deployment dates on the keys
submitted. Though in reality with a signed root, we no longer need those.

Paul