[Dnssec-deployment] Dropping IANA ITAR entries [was: KSK rollover in .cz]

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Tue Aug 3 12:12:25 EDT 2010

Hi all,

>> I notice that LK and ORG are dropped from the IANA ITAR now (but not yet
>> from dlv.isc.org: maybe they're just working their way through the system?).
>> I expect we are going to see a lot more of this, and it's a Good Thing.

The ITAR works on a different model to the root, insofar as the date a trust anchor will be removed is decided when it is originally submitted. When listed, the operator selects the window of publication (i.e. both the beginning and end date) in advance. With these domains, it just so happens their end date has arrived.

>> Has a date for the abolition of the IANA ITAR been decided on yet?

No. We stated our plan was to decommission it 'x' months after the root is signed, but we'd discuss it with the community after the root is signed to confirm this is still the right course of action. At least some of expressed a desire for the ITAR to stay, but maybe they have changed their minds now the root is actually signed.

Indeed, if anyone on this list sees a good reason to keep the ITAR operating beyond a transition period, now would be a good time to say so.

On 02/08/2010, at 2:42 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Since we have no firm dates for the signing and acceptance of trust
> anchors for lots of domains (including .com and .net), I think it's
> rather premature to be scheduling the end of the ITAR.

ITAR only accepts listings by TLD operators, so there are no zones eligible to list their trust anchors in ITAR that can not do so now in the root. That could be an argument for retaining something like DLV but not for retaining ITAR.

kim