[dnssec-deployment] Fwd:[dnssec-deploy-discuss]Requirements:Elevator pitch

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Sep 18 18:48:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, bert hubert wrote:

> By the way, is any large registrar even involved in DNSSEC
> discussions? All the 'usual suspects' appear absent..

They all are, both within the DNSSEC Coalition and outside it.

> DNSSEC may end up being incompatible with or unpalatable for the
> majority of registrars if they don't speak up.

Either the Registry will setup some direct method for triggers or
timers, or they will set up some indirect way for a trigger or a
timer. Either way, there is no compatibility (or palatability) issue
with the protocol. Worst case, large scale hosters will have to write
their own automated interface to whatever the various Registry's are
offering as an interface.

Some of these considerations are not even technical, and cannot be
fixed by any protocol change, such as "As a registry we do not want
triggers or timers to update data, as the legal responsibility for
breaking it would then be on us, instead of the Registrar/Registrant"

Regardless, we'll see different approaches by different Registries.

Paul