[dnssec-deployment] Plans to sign arpa, in-addr.arpa, ip6.arpa?

Ralf Weber denic at eng.colt.net
Sun Nov 8 11:35:51 EST 2009

On 07.11.2009, at 23:07, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2009-11-06, at 21:42, Chris Thompson wrote:
>
>> Maybe I've missed something, but among all the ICANN/Verisign
>> descriptions
>> of the planned schedule for signing the root zone, there doesn't
>> seem to
>> be any mention of "arpa", "in-addr.arpa" (both served from the root
>> servers)
>> or "ip6.arpa" (not so served, but owned by ICANN).
>
> You're right that the work to sign the root zone has not included
> direct treatment of the work required to sign ARPA, IN-ADDR.ARPA and
> IP6.ARPA.
>
> Work continues amongst the various involved orgnisations on
> arranging for ARPA, IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA to be signed. The
> operational community should expect to hear details just as soon as
> there are details to be shared.
While I fully anticipate that root signing and .arpa signing are
different projects, I can not understand while there has been no, at
least no visible progress on the .arpa signing for years now. RFC2870
and RFC3172 suggest that the name server set for .arpa should change
from the root servers to a dedicated set, which IMHO is a pre-
requesite for signing .arpa, as it otherwise signing would impact root
server operations.

Of course now that we have a date for a signed root, one could also
wait to have the root signed and then after that happens also sign
arpa as the impact of signing will hopefully be understood by then.
Can you maybe elaborate which way you want to take.

So long
-Ralf
---
Ralf Weber
Platform Infrastructure Manager
Colt Telecom GmbH
Herriotstrasse 4
60528 Frankfurt
Germany
DDI: +49 (0)69 56606 2780 Internal OneDial: 8 491 2780
Fax: +49 (0)69 56606 6280
Email: rw at colt.net
http://www.colt.net/
Data | Voice | Managed Services

Schütze Deine Umwelt | Erst denken, dann drucken

COLT Telecom GmbH, Herriotstraße 4, 60528 Frankfurt/Main, Deutschland
* Tel +49 (0)69 56606 0 * Fax +49 (0)69 56606 2222 *

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Jürgen Hernichel (Vors.), Rita Thies *
Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main HRB 46123 * USt.-IdNr. DE 197 498 400