[dnssec-deployment] signing .org

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Jun 26 18:58:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> apparently all the political people having decided that . is the new
> .com

Please clarify that statement?  A signed root is critical, to be sure.
However, "Political people" (could you be more vague?) haven't started
offering out TLD domains for sale to private companies(*) -- except where
that country has partnered with a country government to treat the domain
name as an "export" (something that I think cheapens the whole country,
but hey) like .ws, .tv, etc.

More domains are still sold under .com than any other.  But next to com
and net (similar for a NUMBER of reasons, managed by the same people,
etc), .org is critically important as well.

It's large enough to warrant manually importing the trust anchor for
(something I wouldn't do for .se or .br), it's used by a fairly wide body
of standards-organizarions (which is critical for interoperability
testing) -- examples include ieee.org, nanog.org, isc.org, usenix.org, for
example, and it's got a long enough history behind it (being one of the
"originals" that it shows progress and influence in this direction.)

*(although apple would love, I'm sure, to actually offer a product called
.mac in a way that makes sense, as opposed to sounding like a .net ripoff
on microsoft, except they didn't get the joke)

> Bye bye DNS...

Another statement that makes no sense.

-Dan

--

"Hitler, Satan, those Hanson kids, anything.  Just not the curious
anteater."

-Peter Scolari, as Wayne Szalinki in "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids--The
Series"